What should those visiting for the first time do while in Sri Lanka?
My recommendations would be the following:
1. Colombo city – Museum, Galle face (at night time), Old & new parliament and a Colombo city tour.2. Kandy – Temple of the tooth, Ambecke & Gadaladeniya Temple, Peradeniya botanical garden and Kandy market.
3. Nuwaraeliya (Little England) – Haggala Gardens, Ohiya forest, Horten place, nuwaraeliya lake and nuwaraeliya gardens.
4. Sigiriya & Dambulla
7. Pinnawala elephant orphanage
8. Galle fort
9. Beaches: Unawatuna Beach, Mathara Polhena beach and Nigombo beach.
10.Trincomalee – the natural port and Nilaveli marble beach
What is the food like in Sri Lanka? Do you have any recommendations of meals or restaurants visitors should try?
– Galle face (Dinner) – This place is near to the beach and specialises in serving BBQ foods such as grilled meat along with other options such as naan bread, prawns wadei, kottu roti, Sea food and some cool beers to wash it all down.
Do you have a favourite hotel, and why?
As a nature lover, my personal preference is the Heritance Kandalama. This hotel is part of the landscape and overlooks the Kandalama Lake and Sigiriya Rock Fortress.If you like being part of the nature whilst enjoying luxury comforts this is one of the best places to be.
- Kandalama hotel – Relaxing atmosphere and very nice Sri Lankan food
- Sigiriya village
- Hunas Falls Hotel – Beautiful views and good service.
- Galle Lighthouse hotel – Best beach hotel.
- Tea factory hotel – I like the decorations and food here – great tea too!
- Vil Uyana – Relaxing & in a great location.
- Kitulgala rest house
- Miridiya – Anudhapura
- Earl’s regency Kandy – Near to Kandy City.
If visitors want to go shopping, whereabouts should they go?
Colombo, being the commercial capital of the island, is where many shopping centers can be found. Odel, Majestic City, House of Fashions are a few examples of popular shopping malls.Savidu:
Definitely Colombo City! Including the Majestic City & liberty plaza shopping mall, House of Fashion and Odel. There are also many local supermarkets around.
Where is the best beach to go to for water sports?
Sri lanka has long stretchy sandy beaches throughout the island. Bentota & Hikkaduwa (South West coast) are the most popular beaches for water sports. Also, Passikudha & Nilawali beaches in the North East coast of the island is getting increasingly popular for snorkeling as well as whale watching.
There are a variety of beaches that are great for watersports, depending where you are situated. Near to Colombo, at Mount Lavinia Beach, Kaluthara Beach and Nigombo Beach you’ll find plenty of activities to do in the sea. In the south there’s also Galle Beach, Mathara, Polhena Beach, the Hekkaduwa coral sands and beach, and Tangalle Beach. In the east there’s the Nilaveli, Trincomalee and Batticaloa beaches.
Where’s the best place to see the wild life?
For the wildlife enthusiast the Yala National park is the best place to find the big ‘Five’. The Elephants, Leopards, crocodiles. Sloth Bears & and the Blue Whales are common. However, the best time to visit ‘Yala’ is the dry season between November to April.
Also, the Udawala National Park & Minneriya National Parks are famous for large gatherings of Asian elephants in their hundreds yearly from June to September during the dry season. Situated in the central north of Sri Lanka this is one of the driest areas on the island and there are other hundreds of species of animal to be spotted, many endangered.
Lastly, if you had to describe Sri Lanka in just one way, what would it be?
Sri Lanka ..A land like no other